Friday, January 10, 2014

Fresh Start Friday?


I've had bit of a break from sewing since I finished up the Christmas & birthday projects, some of that time off planned, some of that forced on me by a bout of the end-of-the-year crud.  Now that I'm on the mend, I need to get going again.

I'm not a big resolution/goals person, but here's what I'm hoping to accomplish this year:
  • I've got 2 more days of machine mastery classes to get all trained on my new Bernina 750QE, which I've named after Blues great Bernie Federko.  I'm a bigger Cardinals fan, but I just couldn't call my machine Yadi.
  • 3 twin quilts - 2 more nieces and a nephew to keep warm.  These are due in February, March & April for birthdays, rather than Christmas. 
    • I've just picked out the fabric for the first one - a mix of pinks, black & white, red and a bit of purple.  I'm using the Yellow Brick Road pattern.  
    • The second is for a 9-year-old boy so I was thinking of something with strips.  Unfortunately the quilt will be wider than WOF, so I'll have to piece horizontally or run them vertically.  Still thinking on that one and open to ideas.
    • The third recipient is almost 8 and was into purple pretty heavily, but now she's moving more into light blues and greens.  I've got tons of green & blue batiks, so hopefully I've got a good start at picking fabrics on that one.
  • I want to make some of the fabric baskets from Sunday Morning Quilts. First, I need to organize my scraps.  Wish I had some of those baskets completed already to put them in. :)
  • Make a couple of charity quilts for little ones.
  • Learn how to make a zippered pouch.  I've bookmarked some great-looking ones I've seen on other blogs.
  • I read in someone's blog that they always cut a couple of 5" charms and  2.5" mini charms from most or all of their fabric as they go.  That's a great idea in order to build of stock for scrappy quilts, so I'm going to try to get into that habit, too.
  • To not spend all of my free time at the sewing machine - I need to get my ass on the treadmill if I want to go somewhere abroad this year.  
  • And I need to figure out where I want to go. 

What projects are you hoping to accomplish this year?

Posted on Finish It Friday on Crazy Mom Quilts

2 comments:

  1. First, I love the fabrics you pulled for the first quilt. Second, if you want to sew strips, think about adding a solid strip vertically between sections of horizontal stripes. I have seen it done with three sections of stripes. Sometimes the middle section is flipped so the colors are opposite, and by adding the vertical stripe, you don't have to match all the seams. Third, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine, thank you so much for the vertical strip idea!

    ReplyDelete