Thursday, April 10, 2014

Teyla's Quilt

My second twin-sized quilt is completed!  And on time! Woo-hoo!


It's another Yellow Brick Road, but done in greens & blues, for my niece Teyla's 8th birthday.  I found a lot of the fabric from Intown Quilters in Decatur GA.  Some also came from my local store, Gina's and a couple came from my stash.

The sun was pretty harsh for my finished images.  Maybe this in-progress shot shows some of the fabric in better detail.


The back is pieced from 3 different prints, I found the Hello Kitty fabric online and the other two came from Gina's. Teyla likes Hello Kitty, peace signs and purple, too.




Things went faster the second time around.  I'm still working on my machine binding skills, but I only had to slip stitch a couple of missed areas.


Something happened to my Bernina 750QE when I had finished quilting.  As I was cleaning a stuck thread from the thread catcher, it locked up.  It went to a weird screen that's not in the book and I only found one reference to it online, but couldn't get to the related post on a FB page.  After hard booting and unplugging attempts failed, I took Bernie into my local shop and stumped them, too, so Bernina USA wants to see it.  Gina's loaned me one of their classroom 550 machines and I was able to finish the binding over 2 weeknights and have it ready for Teyla's birthday!



The 550 (above) is a very nice, solid machine, but I'm really glad I splurged on the 750.  I like having the extra harp space.  I'm also so used to the thread cutter.


I'm taking a break from quilts for a bit and when my machine comes back, I want to do a couple small projects mentioned my Jan 10th blog.

What are you looking forward to working on this spring/summer?

Posted on Finish It Friday:
http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2014/04/rockets-and-robots-quilt.html?m=1 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the back. I love when the back of a quilt is a separate quilt in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I think machine sew bindings can be harder than hand-turning, but the speed is so much nicer! Great job on getting it done and best get better fast wishes on your machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your machine! I hope you get it back soon. It's great when you can justify your Bernina purchase, isn't it? (I don't have one BTW--just sayin!) Thank goodness you got both quilts done! I am working on a quilt with the new Pearl Bracelets and I have a solids quilt coming up. I also have some WIPs I need to complete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, good look with your projects! I hope you post them so we can see them.

      Delete
  5. My niece really liked her quilt (whew!). I'm still waiting to hear back about the machine. It'll be weird to have a non-travel weekend where I'm not sewing, but I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my time :)

    ReplyDelete