Saturday, January 3, 2015

Two Additional Christmas Finishes

I completed quilts for another niece and nephew just in time for Christmas.  Roxi and Aidan are siblings and I wanted to do their quilts at the same time.

Aidan is nearly 10, so I didn't want to use any cartoon-y fabric that he would outgrow.  It took months to accumulate multiple prints that would work.  I just did simple 6 1/2" strips of varying lengths (6.5, 13 and 26").

I used excel to plot my layout of the seven different fabrics.


I found a great Day of the Dead skulls print, as well as a flame print. I also bought several yards at an end-of-bolt sale of Black Cross Hatch from the Stella Blvd. Puppy Park collection. That fabric made up the majority of the back.


The right edge was off in some places after I pieced the top. I may have cut one of the long strips shorter than I meant to.  After I quilted it together, I measured 72" from the left in multiple spots and connected those marks so I could trim it even before binding.


Here's a closer look at the fabrics:

Here's the back:


I just stitched in the ditch for this one and used the Cross Hatch fabric for the binding.  


My nephew was shocked to find out this was handmade just for him.



Roxi's quilt was my third Yellow Brick Road. She likes pink, purple and blue, so I collected new fabrics as to not repeat from the other two I made last year.  I did re-use one purple print, as it was also used in Roxi's birthday crown and I wanted that connection.



This one went together more quickly now that I'm familiar with the pattern.


A closer look at some of the fabric:



I also did pretty well with the machine binding on this one. The purple batik looked great and I loved that Hello Kitty chevron!




Always something to be learned from a project, but mostly I get so much enjoyment from making something the kids in our family will cherish for years to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment