Friday, December 20, 2013

Bungle Jungle Quilt #2

Quilt 2 of 3 is finished! Again using the Moda Bungle Jungle line, I made a quilt for my nephew/godson Jake.  I also incorporated some of the brighter colors in a 9-patch design.  He's a little over 2 1/2 years old, so I made it larger than the first quilt I made for my 1 year-old nephew Silas.

I tried doing some free motion quilting, mimicking the oodles squiggle pattern in some of the prints.  It's a lot harder to do than one would think.  I look forward to practicing it more.

I was able to manage a heart in all of that squiggle mess I made.

The backing fabric is another print in the Bungle Jungle line.  I don't remember the name of it, but I luckily got 4 yards at the monthly end-of-bolt sale at Gina's Bernina for 40% off.  I have enough Bungle Jungle fabric left overall that I hope to make a quilt or two for Project Linus.

Here's a closer look.  I used a gray thread for the quilting.

I again did a machine binding, but this time, I found a way to join the ends that worked out better for me at: Fons and Porter.  I do wish I could figure out how to make the stitching that shows up on the back look more even.  It goes on and off of the binding.  I also plan to learn to hand sew the binding to the back, but the machine binding is really quick to do.

Two quilts down and one to go!  How are you doing on your Christmas projects with less than a week to go?




4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous quilt....love the fabric. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love the way you combined fabrics for your 9patch blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments, ladies! I really enjoyed playing with the color and pattern combinations. There was a brief freakout when I realized I needed to add an extra row of 9 patch, but I think I spaced the colors far enough apart.

    ReplyDelete