Friday, December 20, 2013

Funky Monkey Quilt

The last quilt for Christmas is finished!  This is for my niece Emily.  She's Jake's twin sister, so I wanted to make them both quilts, but I didn't want them to be matchy-matchy.  It's mostly made from the original Funky Monkey fat quarter set.  It came in an old-school metal lunch box embossed with sock moneys. I had some additional pieces of fabric that I picked up along the way, too.


Since I used 5" charm squares for the first two quilts, I wanted to do something a bit different, but still easy for a novice quilter.  I found the Scrappy Bricks pattern from Project Linus.  I pieced the front Monday evening after work.

For the quilting, I just put on the stitch-in-the-ditch foot, but moved the needle as far over to the right as I could.  That put the quilting lines on either side of the row seams, as I had a little difficulty stitching in the ditch as neatly as I'd like to have in Bungle Jungle #1.


I pieced the back together using 3 different prints and used the dot pattern for the binding.




To celebrate the finishing of the three quilts, I treated myself to a pedi today, but not after starting my last project, a no-sew birthday crown for another niece, Roxi.  More to come on that.

I hope you are all having success with your projects!


Posted on Crazy Mom Quilts Finish It Friday

5 comments:

  1. What a fun and colorful quilt! Maybe rewarding myself for finishes will motivate me in getting some of my many WIPs finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cynthia! I had more of the brown sock texture fabric in it, but it looked too dark overall. I did leave one half-square in. I've been working the "second shift" the past three weeks to get this all done. Maybe I should reward myself with an early bedtime, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about making a bricks quilt. Yours is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jasmine! It was fairly easy to cut and put together. I did have a couple of rows with the half bricks that were a bit longer than the others. Didn't have time to figure it out. I just trimmed it up evenly and moved on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely bright and colourful quilts! I'm sure they will love them!

    ReplyDelete